Tuesday, March 22, 2011

...While I Waited For My Beer.

     Those who are regular readers of this fabulous little blog know that I HATE it when people are rude to the waitstaff at restaurants/bars/coffee shops. Working in food service is genuinely a rite of passage and everyone should have to do it at some point in their life. It teaches a valuable lesson in humility, good manners, and what hard work really is.  However, that does not excuse a waiter or waitress that just sucks at the job and doesn't care to get better. Better service = better tip. Period.

      Monday night is Trivia Night at a little place near my downtown apartment. (I say 'downtown apartment' because it sounds chic and very cool. Two things I like to strive to be.) It's a local joint with $2 PBR, an attempt at TexMex, and even a Vegan menu! Truthfully, it's just glorified bar food but the Trivia is a great time. I met a group of friends there last night. B, Archer, Perkie, New Kid, and Tulane. It was my first time doing the Trivia night thing so I'd held out on cooking dinner before I went so I could order dinner there. Mistake #1. I also didn't drink at home because I knew there was beer there. Mistake #2. And I wore cute skinny jeans with a chic t shirt, cardigans, and my new favorite flat sandals. Mistake #3.  It was an attempt at being casual yet still sexy, since I have a hard time with the jeans + t shirt look. I feel like it's not 'me' and it feels like I'm trying too hard to look casual when I do it, therefore canceling out the casual feelings that dressing that casual is supposed to provide.

No pie for me, No tip for you!
     Apparently I needed more accessories. #1. A penis. #2. A high-and-tight. And here's why I needed them: We had a waitress who clearly felt that she could make more money from the guys than us gals, so she gave them better service. (see #24) Period. I.E. promptly delivering cold beers as soon as the guys were done with their current one, instant chips and salsa refills, and accurate checks at the end. Me? I had to get the guys to flag this DG down for a beer after my SEE THROUGH GLASS sat empty in front of me while she delivered ice cold PBR's to the guys. Seriously? B suggested that maybe some chocolate would rectify my mood since my disappointment was quickly spiraling into unadulterated hatred. Wrong. She ruined that too because when I did select a dessert, she wound up coming back to tell me they'd just run outs of it. Did she offer something else instead? Nope! I don't think so! Just the super annoying "OMG. We juuust ran out. I'm sooooooo sorrryyyyy." So I only had 1 pint of PBR and then somehow I wound up being charged for 2? Oh hell no! In the time it would have taken to get her to figure out who was supposed to have been charged for that 2nd one and fixed the check, I could have polished a 2nd pint off....that is, if she even noticed I was thirsty in the first place.

     Now I know you're probably thinking I'm a super bitch. True. I do have my moments as every gal does but here's the catch. It wasn't her first night waiting tables and she even knew a girl at the table by her first name! And the truth about the dessert? She probably stashed the last piece in the back of the fridge to eat later as she cries because she made no money tonight and "people suck. they're mean. they don't understand how she works." Again. Better service = better tip. Period.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the nick names :D

Publius said...

Wow. Remind me to curtail my brunches/social engagements with you. Just...wow.

Simply Fabulous said...

Oh geez, thanks =P

Unknown said...

Mistake #1, going out to a bar that serves PBR. Bad service and shit for brain wait staff could have been anticipated.