Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 20- Get Real...

Today I am sharing something I am struggling with in order to get real with my readers.

Just in case my previous posts were missed, I am struggling with weightloss. I shared it in a few earlier posts, but recently I hit an alltime low with my journey. I saw a number on the scale I had never seen before and never thought I would... Talk about a foot-to-ass reaction on my part?! I eat healthy for a while, hit the gym, drop 10 lbs, feel great, and then stop. For some reason, I have never been able to consciously keep pushing past those 10 lbs lost, and go for the 15 or even the 20. Why? I mean, I LOVE food but I also really love running. Recently, though I think I have discovered my mistake.

As I enter my meals eaten into www.myfitnesspal.com, I see the calories totally up from seemingly harmless snacks or drinks. But then when I punch in exercise I see the calories allotted for the day increase. For my weightloss goal, 1200 calories a day are recommended. Seems simple, right? Eat less, exercise more. But no... instead, I think "oh, I ran really hard today. I can sneak in another snack, another slice of pizza, another cocktail, etc." So what I have essentially done to myself is made up for the calories I burned by eating more. Now call me crazy, but apparently that doesn't equal weightloss in some peoples' books.

Yes, I am serious. I really have been doing that stupid math and not taking care of my body the way I should. Luckily, the error of my ways showed up on the scale and slapped me clean across the face to wake me up. SO- as much as I detest calorie counting- for me, it helps. Maybe one day I won't have to do it as often and I will know what's good and what I should pass on. But until then, it keeps me accountable so I don't just wipe out my efforts at the gym or in the pool with an extra slice of pizza, or a sugary snack late at night.

There. That's my struggle. Cookie anyone?

No comments: