Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Why I admire Courtney Joseph

Mrs. Courtney Joseph's blog is a recent discovering for me. A few days ago, I was having a tough day- struggling with some personal things... and basically it was making my job nearly impossible to focus on. She has such a lovely way of talking about marriage and what God wants for men and women in this union today. Since getting married, I have struggled to figure out what the heck am I supposed to be?! I was my own person for so long, and now I have a new hat to wear...in addition to Daughter, Niece, Granddaughter, Naval Officer, Friend, Sister, Independent Woman, now I am a WIFE.

     How do I balance that in a loving, Christian way that follows God's plan for me, and makes my marriage strong?? I am tired of just being angry [which I have been A LOT LATELY] that in addition to working full time, and participating in hobbies like figure skating and crossfit, I still wind up coming home and doing the majority of housework (tidying, laundry, cooking, cleaning). No matter how many notes, lists, hints, and fights- it just still ends the same. He will cave in and do exactly what I ask [sometimes half assed just to piss me off. Don't act like you don't, babe. I love you and this is just the truth! :) ], I will angrily cross off my own list all "huffy puffy" as B puts it, and then he will retreat to do something he likes to do, and I will fume on the couch over a glass of red wine and bad TV. Then another fight might follow that, or one of us will just try to press forward and not stay angry at the other. Lather, rinse, repeat.

     Courtney is so so so positive and after reading her posts or following her Bible reading of the day, and turning my confusion to Him- I feel more positive. More ready to hand the day's struggles in a better spirited manner. It's more likely that I will react in a Christ-like way that will lead to a better resolution no matter the conflict. She is absolutely wonderful and makes such excellent points regarding marriage and family. You are probably thinking "Oh, you must be the first of your group to be married". Actually- no. I am one of the last, but as I have reached out to other married friends- some of their problem solving methods just really don't work for my marriage. Guilt, manipulation, anger, passive aggressive, etc... you name it. NO THANKS!

Coming across ugly, angry, and negative just is NOT ME AT ALL and since making the decision to find a group of women who can relate to my struggles, it's refreshing and I feel happier which I'm sure makes my husband very happy as well. Thank you, Courtney!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you found something that works for YOU!